Saturday 30 January 2016

Introduction: Why? Why? Why?


Quick Intro, answering the main questions on everyone (well the 10 people who will visit this site) has on their minds.

Why I am writing this blog?

For the following reason:


  • Nikesh, teacher/coach/Precourse contact at Makers Academy,  said it would be good and was encouraged (meaning in England: do it or else)
  • Lots of past students have done it, and reading about their experiences helped me decide to join, so I guess this will also be a good way of doing a review of the course rather than writing one up later.
  • Get my thoughts down and not have to worry about them bouncing around in my head.
  • The winner gets a prize!!!! I am not competitive (unless it is FIFA) but seeing my name in green would be cool (MA reference)
  • Log of progress. 
  • Good place to contain notes, about topics studied and bookmarks to resources used, stored in one place.
  • Good advertisement (along with my Github repo) for future employers.
  • Good advertising for the Makers.
  • Improve my writing skills.
Why Join Makers Academy?

Here are some reasons:
  • Wanted to change careers from teaching to software.
  • Really enjoyed programming (Codewars is the main culprit).
  • Wanted to learn programming to a high level.
  • Learn techniques that I could not learn alone ie pair programming, improve my code.
  • Work in an immersive and focused environment
  • Great job support
  • Lots of positive reviews and outcomes
  • Get a job as a junior developer.
  • My brother helped me out with fee.
Who am I?
  • Name: Han
  • Born and raised: London, UK
  • Culturally from: Mauritius
  • Education: University of Manchester, then University of Leeds 
  • Lived: London, Sydney, Leeds, Manchester
  • Interests: Travel, Football, Coding, Reading, Learning new things, Walking and Exploring new places and activities, Liverpool Football Club
  • Strengths: Really tall and can reach most top shelves with out using a ladder
  • Weaknesses: Low door frames and Chilli (the spice)
  • Hates: Low sinks and mirrors that are hanging low and I have bend to look at my face (I am tall person and apparently vain)
  • Aim: Become a software developer and create meaningful software that helps people in their lives.


This is Han. Han likes to code. Be like Han!!
What will happen with this blog?

I really do not know how this blog will pan out. I do not want to make any promises and put extra pressure on myself, as I know this course comes first and will take up most of my time. I do not know how regular or how long the posts will be.

I will write something here. I will post some photos. 

I will aim to do the following:
  • Weekly summaries and thoughts on my journey through MA 
  • Info dumps on specific topics
  • Bookmarks for resources 
  • Ideas on learning (probably after I finish the course)
  • Career updates
  • Personal projects after MA
I will leave it here. This should be fun and crazy. Looking forward to meeting my cohort and fellow Makers,  and learning to program. 

I will leave you with a classic anthem that sums up this first post...




Only the original counts here!!





No comments:

Post a Comment